20041130

How To Effectively Smash Your Hand

Ok, so no matter what anybody tells you, DON'T smash your fingers in the hood of your car. ::blank stare::

Really.

It hurts like a BITCH.

It happened to me this morning. The hood slipped out of my left hand smashing my right hand (on the bone between the first and second knuckles) between it and the driver's front quarter panel. (The red band of paper in the pic below represents where my hand was smashed.) I didn't scream, but my brain did jump into Half-Panic-Half-Logic-Mode. The hood was completely latched shut. I managed to get my left hand fingers under the front part of the hood, but I couldn't get my hand free. I looked around to see if anyone was outside that could hear me yell if I needed help - no one. Lisa was asleep inside the house and, obviously, there was no way I could release the hood by the indoor or exterior hood release latches. I had my phone in my back pocket, but I was determined to keep as much pressure off my right hand as possible. Still working the hood, I finally got enough leway to wiggle my fingers free. Then it felt like my left hand might be stuck; hoods are heavy!


Whew, both were finally free, but I was far from ok. Freeing my hand allowed the blood access to the edge of my fingertips again - OW. Then the nausea set in. I walked over to the driver's door, which was still open, and realized my house keys were in my purse on the passenger side. I walked around, got my keys, and made it to the front door while managing not to puke. Next, I tried to unlock the front door of the house, but I had to pull the door fully shut to get the lock to turn - which required the use of my right hand. "Yay." So I got inside, woke Lisa up, and headed for the toilet in case I puked. Lisa called Mom, brought me water, and eventually the nausea passed. It still hurts now, is barely bruised, but weight on it in certain positions makes it get a really bad "Charlie Horse."

Anyway, so my mom came home for her lunch break and made sure everything was ok, then she headed back to work and I went on towards Tuxon. Missed German today, but it was unavoidable; tomorrow is our group's song presentation, "woot." My archaeology class is going well, too; Earned a B on test 3, yay! Test 4 is in two weeks and I feel confident. Have to write a petition to the dean for a withdrawl from english - don't ask, just DON'T ask. My physics of flight class is still yet to be determined... I could end up with an E or an I (I'm hoping for this). Either way, I'm completing my Architecture 102 studio, and re-taking English 102, "Flight" 102, and my Language class from Spring '04 in the Spring 2005 semester. Yes, I've slacked off big time. Yes, I might get kicked out of school. Yes, I am scared. Yes, this is a confession.

I just can't keep it bottled up anymore.

After I lost my job, I got even more depressed about school, etc. At least teachers are giving me a chance and I'm starting a new valet job on Thursday. Things are looking up. Now, I just have to convince the dean to give me a withdrawl.

Questions? Comments? Call 1-800-MEL-ROXX

2 comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Wow, that is quite a sickening play-by-play of your injury; I'm glad you at least have a sense of humour about it (the pictures, and especialy the little red paper showing where your fingers were show a keen sense of humour for sure).

30/11/04 22:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post...I love how your humor comes out best when you're P-I-S-S-E-D! We've all got a little blonde in us :)
-Magda

1/12/04 07:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home