20050409

Simply captivating.

I. Am. Floored.

Actually, that is an extreme understatement.

I just watched The Life of David Gale. It completely blew my mind. It started out as a normal film, I even read the back of the DVD case, but I had no idea what a huge impact this film would have on me.

For those of you unfamiliar with the film, it stars Kevin Spacey, Kate Winslet, and Laura Linney. They all deliver wonderful performances and never waver. I really felt like I was watching the characters' lives and not actors portraying characters.

I do not want to say anything about the plot line itself because I know some of you and you will try to analyze everything while you are viewing it. Thus, my advice is such: DON'T view this movie if you're going to talk. DON'T view this movie with the lights on. DON'T view this movie if you're not going to finish it. DON'T analyze it while you are viewing it. Just SIT there, SHUT UP, and VIEW the dang thing. You will receive the greatest impact if you watch it alone, but if you're going to watch it with someone, make them read this post and then tell them to shut the Hell up.

There are some graphic reinactments, but I encourage you, even if you are squeamish, to watch those scenes. They are essential to the film and not watching them will only lessen the experience.

The cinematography is simply captivating. The music, the sound clips, the presentation - all captivating. The way this film is put together really draws you in, holds you, and doesn't let you go. It got to the point where I was sitting cross-legged, upright, and on the edge of the couch - temperature raised, hands clammy, body fidgeting with anticipation, and I just wanted to yell proactively at the TV screen. It is that good.

I don't know what else to say about this film except that if you don't go see it, you're missing out big time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. - www.becauseimright.com can kiss my movie-critiquing butt.

1 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA. While I was reading your post, I was thinking about the comment I was going to leave. It was going to say: "Your review sounds like You-Know-Who on You-Know-What.com." Then I saw the last line of your post. HA!

10/4/05 13:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home